Friday, May 7, 2010

Cloth Diapers Day 3

Well today is day three of cloth diapering and I have to tell you I am hooked. I was pretty much in before I started because of the better for baby benefit (No chemicals or plastic), the better for the enviornment benefit, no waste (yes I am a tree hugger) and lastly my husband was convinced by the cost. For about $150 if you go the basic route you can diaper your baby from birth to potty training. Granted you could go crazy with all the extras and fancy stuff they have out. I might go a little crazy don't tell him. It's just the have the cutest prints for diaper cover and there is something about a flower print tushy that just gets me!

It wasn't until my friend gave my an article in Mothering magazine that it all really sank in. The article said that the average child uses 5,000 diapers & training pants in there lifetime at a cost of up to $1200. It also said that of all the people alive today not one of our diaper has broken down in landfills. It takes Hundreds of years for one diaper to break down. OK so 5,000 diapers times all the children in the country that's a big problem. It is such a problem in Quebec and landfills have become so overwhelmed with diapers that the government is helping families buy cloth diapers. Anyway I urge you to read more about cloth diapering online or at mothering.com. For me it's all about better for baby, easier on my wallet and preserving this amazing world god gave us!!!! Blessings Laur

Thank you to my good friend who has guided me through this amazing journey!!
And Thank you to mothering magazine for the great article =)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laur, I was wondering- does the poop come out easily in the wash without contaminating the machine?? It seems like you would have to wash multiple times, but maybe not haha. I was just curious cause i heard about the diaper services that pick up poopy diapers, wash them and bring you new cloth diapers. Not that I have any diapers to wash, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poop it can be scary but it is really not that bad. Janelle has a poop bucket that you place over the toliet and you can wash the solid out with a sprayer. I do the old fashioned shake in the toliet =) It's not that bad really, oh and yes you have to wash twice once on cold (helps get out the poop) then once on hot to sanitize. They do have diaper services but they can be expensive.

    ReplyDelete