Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sprouts

We have sprouts, well almost. We started sprouting this weekend and I am just amazed at how easy it is. A $5 Jar from Harry's and some sprouting seeds that's all it takes to start. Now the seeds from Harry's were 4.99 but I am told that the prices are much better online at places like sprouts people. They do variety packs which is very cool.  Well anyway after freaking out all weekend thinking I was going to screw it up I just went for it and it is so darn easy. A pack of seeds and three times the water in a sprouting jar, soak overnight. By the morning the seeds are already broken open now I just rinse and drain twice a day for 5-6 days. Oh and keep the jar in a darker area of your kitchen till day 4, then move it to a sunny area! I have to say so far sprouts super easy and a great project for you and the kids. A little side note if doing broccoli sprout  (yes they taste like little broccolis and are the only sprout my family will eat) know that on day 4 something interesting happens. This is where I panicked thinking I ruined $5 worth of sprout seeds. This seeds mold (not really) but they look like it, then I read this on sprout peoples website. Root Hairs- A thin hairlike outgrowth of an epidermal cell of a plant root that absorbs water and minerals from the soil. These microscopic roots are often mistaken for mold by new sprouters. If you take a magnifying glass you can see them for what they are. Root Hairs are usually only visible when the sprout is at it's driest - just before Rinsing. The Rinse will push them back against the main root. Root Hairs are generally only visible on certain sprouts; Brassicas (Broccoli, Radish, Mustard, etc.) and Grains (Oats, Barley, Rye, Wheat, etc.). New sprouters that would be me, but all in all super easy and fun, now lets just hope they taste good! Blessings Laur

No comments:

Post a Comment