Thursday, August 5, 2010

No Impact Man & Organic Milk

So I finally got to watch it and I was amazed. No Impact Man is a writer and his family (Wife and baby daughter) that set out on a year with no impact on the world. This means no cars, electricity, no shopping and only local foods (with in 250 miles) and the list goes on. I was amazed because they were normal people like you and me and they did it for a whole year. Now I am not about to go without toilet paper but the movie did make a lot of interesting points and did make me think. The most interesting was a trip he and his family made to a local dairy farm. He questioned the farmer as to why he was not certified organic, the farmer replied by saying his cows were part of his family and he could not watch one of them die because if they got sick and could not be treated under organic regulations. Hmmmmm I am a huge animal lover and this made me wonder if I was making the best milk choice for my family. Not just because I want fair treatment of all animals especially ones producing food for my family (unhappy cows equals unhappy milk!)but because I don't want to be mislead in this crazy consumer world thinking just because it is organic it is good for you. I have just begun my research but I will keep you all posted on what my findings are. Yes most organic milk is better than regular milk but it is which organic milk you buy and some major milk companies treat there cows better than some organic farms. Also keep in mind that most local farms follow organic rules i.e. no mass antibiotics or growth hormones but they will remove a sick animal from the herd treat it and return it back when it is well. Sounds like the best option to me, only problem most local milk in GA is raw milk. I don't know why I can't wrap my head around raw milk but I am getting there. That's a story in it self! Blessing Laur

No comments:

Post a Comment